If it had been an oil painting I would have wiped it off the canvas after the first hour of struggle.  Instead, I continued, searching for the problems and experimenting with solution options.

Trumpet Parts No. 43 - Grasping for resolution

Leaving white paper worked well for the Oxalis Ink and Watercolor sketches.  Leaving the table white did not work well at all for Trumpet Parts No. 43.  I started off with a loose, dip pen sketch of the trumpet parts rather than the more careful contour-like sketch I usually begin with.  The choice of throwing in a window, two walls and a painting on the wall as a background turned out to be another decision that didn’t work.  To top it off, the throw of the second die sealed the fate of the misdirected sketch.  The first throw was a Two (Modified Triad) The second throw gave me a dominant color of Orange.  That left me with Orange plus Red and Yellow ….. all warm colors that fall along the top half of the value scale.

I’ve been using saturated colors when playing the Color Scheme Game, not venturing toward neutrals.  Trumpet Parts No.43 is a great example of the importance of neutrals!  Without them, in this case, there would be no darks at all except for the black ink.  I didn’t mix neutrals until my last attempt to “save” the painting, which obviously, I didn’t do.  What I learned during the four hour struggle was well worth it.  Tomorrow I will reconstruct a variation of this sketch based on what I learned from today’s efforts.  I will hold to the same color scheme and attempt to extend the value scale to include white and the darkest darks while maintaining the scheme of red, orange and yellow.

Sketchbook painting:  drawn first with dip pen and black ink, followed by watercolor and gouache …….. the images shown are the last two variations after many layers of washes, splatters and glazes.

Advertisements